Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Just A Little note about My Past - Catching Toads



Catching Toads

One of my fondest memories as a child was when we visited my grandparents.  One of the things I loved about visiting was that they had so much land for us kids to explore.  We also enjoyed the pond that was filled with bullfrogs croaking all night long and the katydids that rang out in a constant comforting night hummm.  Just like ponds everywhere I'm sure, but it was special to us because  it was the only place we'd ever experienced  having a pond or hearing the sounds of the night as we drifted off to sleep at night.  We always woke up in the early morning to the pleasant sound of Grandma and Grandpa talking to each other along with kitchen sounds  and the smell of breakfast cooking. 

I loved going out at night to capture the toads, they were everywhere on that property.  I remember one night I captured around eight toads and I put them in a cardboard box and wanted to keep  them as my pets.  Grandpa told me I should let them go but I was determined to keep them because I was proud of my accomplishment of catching them. 

I went to the basement to  check on my toads ,before I went to bed that night.  Then morning came and as soon as I could, I ran to the basement to see them.  Low and behold I looked in the box and there was eight rocks in the box.  My toads were gone and I asked grandpa, "What happen to my frogs?"  He said, "When you keep them over night they turn to rocks." 

It took me the longest time to figure out that he had pulled the wool  over my eyes... , by the time I realized it, I knew he couldn't let me keep the toads anyway .  He gave me something else instead,  a memory of him  and it has been a treasured memory of him to this day.


Psalms 150:6
 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.



Poetry And Other Materials On This Site Can Be Freely Used For Christian Bible Centered Non-Profit Ministries And must Remain Unchanged In Any Way. All Other Purposes Are With Permission Only. You May Make Requests At "treasurebox18@yahoo.com" All my poems with stories are both real and fictional designed to illustrate a biblical truth. All Rights Reserved. Please Include Site Name And Link Back To This Blog. Thank-You.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *