Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Come Home - Devotional - July 23rd, 2014 - LOST



Come Home


One thing I'm afraid of is getting lost.  If I'm driving in an unfamiliar area and lose my way.  I begin to get very upset.  My grown kids get wound up and I have to pull over and collect myself.  I'm very afraid of being lost out on the highway.  I guess it's because I'm afraid  I won't be able to find my way home.  I have been lost a few times for hours and it is not fun at all.  Getting lost and not having a phone to call home is especially stressful,  because you know family members will be wondering where you are.
One Christmas, the Lord provided us with the money for a GPS.  I'm so thankful for the device, because I feel reassured I can find my way home.  Finding our way home is much easier today because of cell phones and other electronic devices but what about bible times?

I was thinking of bible people who couldn't find their way home and remembered the little lost lamb. The little lamb wandered away from the fold and was not under the protection of the shepherd.  The shepherd notices one missing lamb, when he counted his sheep.  The shepherd loves his sheep and WILL lay his life down for them.  He left the 99 sheep settled safely in the sheepfold and went out searching for his lost lamb.  The little lamb could not find his way home and someone loved him enough to go searching for him.  He finds him and carries him back safely to the fold.

I thought of the prodigal son, who left his home in rebellion, spent all his money in riotous living.  He wandered away from everything he was taught, everything he knew was right.  He ended up in the slop bucket of sin. The pig pin, eating the slop thrown to the pigs.  He realized for the first time.  I want to be home, I want to go home, but will I be loved?  Will I be accepted, just as a servant in my father's home?  He had to find his way home and when He did his father rejoiced at his return.

Some people wonder why  Christians use the word lost.  When someone is lost, he's someone who needs to be found, someone who needs to find their way home.  I'm reminded of the song Amazing Grace, in the words of the song it says " I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see".

Without Christ we are lost in a world of confusion and hopelessness.  Without Christ our soul is lost and held captive and destined for damnation.  If you've ever played baseball, you know if you never bring the ball home, you'll never win.  We need to lead lost people home.  They can't find their own way home, they are lost and confused and need someone who can understand and see the things of God to show them and lead them the way.  Just as the little lost lamb, who would have died had no one cared.

Now some people who are lost, are people who have known the things of God but have made some bad decisions in life and lost their way and forgot their way home.  They are saved eternally but have been taken captive by sin or confusion.  They became distracted by other things and lost their first love for God.  They have done things they find hard to forgive themselves for and are wondering if God would really accept them back.  Some may be blaming someone else for their falling away and resentment has blinded their eyes.  They have believed the devils lies and cannot comprehend their way home.  God uses people to win people.   Using baseball for example , it may take a really good ball player to bring the ball into home base.  When the prodigal son returned home he didn't know what to expect. He knew he did not deserve loved because he had turned his back on his family, but when his father saw him from a distance, His father wept with joy to see him return.  With joy his Father's arms opened in acceptance  of him.

If we have wandered away as a child of God, if we are willing to come home to God the Father, with true repentance, He will not refuse us.  He will take us back with joy and love us just the same . 

Father God,
Help us to be an encouraging person today, help us love others back to you.  Help us have the wisdom and understanding how to guide the lost to you.  As you say in your Word, He that winneth souls is wise.  Open the eyes of those that have wandered away and open their hearts to understand you want them to come home. Lead us to the lost that we may bring them safely home, under the blood of your promise.

In The Name Of Christ Jesus I Pray  This - Amen



Luke15
                [4] What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
                [6] And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
.               [9] And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
                [24] For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
                [32] It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.
Luke:19
                For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Susan Y Nikitenko
July 23rd, 2014

Lesson/Devotional - LOST



Poetry And Other Materials On This Site Can Be Freely Used For Christian Bible Centered Non-Profit Ministries And must Remain Unchanged In Any Way. All Other Purposes Are With Permission Only. You May Make Requests At "treasurebox18@yahoo.com" All my poems with stories are both real and fictional designed to illustrate a biblical truth. All Rights Reserved. Please Include Site Name And Link Back To This Blog. Thank-You.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *